The Montgomery Genealogical Society merged with the Montgomery County Historical Society in 2020, bringing uniquely knowledgeable members, archives, resources and skills to create The Family History Resource Center for Montgomery. We plan to provide online family tree help and research, free DNA test kits, training classes, workshops and the most appropriate software. The computer resources and space are already prepared for family history research. We plan to have the resources set up in the late April – May timeframe. Exhibits and workshops will be announced as available. This will be a community asset that provides access to MCHS’ genealogy services and resources for all members of the Montgomery community, allowing them to broaden their family history and save their family stories for future generations on our website and in our archives.
By merging with MCHS, MGS continues to:
- Collect, preserve, archive, digitize AND share Montgomery County’s families’ stories and heritage
- Provide a Family History Resource Center, where users can research, learn, create family trees, and access old family Bibles and family records that are not available in digital format
- Utilize Ancestry software and computers dedicated to genealogical and family research
- Allow people to discover their own family heritage through low-or no-cost DNA analysis kits
- Attend workshops held by local genealogy experts and former MGS members